Unless you've been living under a rock you've more than likely seen the strange square shaped bar codes that are popping up all over the place. Those are Quick Response Codes, colloquially referred to as QR Codes. You can find them now on everything from billboards to your Doritos taco packaging and if used properly they can give your Michigan business a serious shot in the on-line marketing arm.This is the first in a three part series of blog posts on what QR codes are and how they can be used by your Michigan business.
- Part 1 will explain how to use a QR code and go over some of the basics of what they can do.
- Part 2 will discuss the different uses of a QR code for marketing.
- Part 3 we will go into advanced QR code usage.
Just like a bar code a QR code needs to be scanned to be interpreted. To do so you will need a smart phone with a QR Reader app installed on it. QR codes are a hot ticket right now in the marketing world and there are plenty of free apps available for download. Just visit your app store and either search for 'QR Reader' or simply scroll through the most popular free apps and you will be able to find one easily. Once you have downloaded and installed it activate it on your phone. It will use the camera function to scan the bar code and decipher what is hidden within. If you scan the code above and choose to execute the command you will be taken to the ajac Web Design Facebook fan page. Feel free to like us while you're there! The more decorative blue code at the top with the state of Michigan in the middle will also take you to the same web address. We will go into more detail on customizing QR codes in the third installment of the series. Alright, you can now read and explain to someone how to set their smart phones to read codes. Now what exactly can these QR codes do? Their basic functions include:
- Direct the person scanning to a website
- Send an e-mail to a specific address
- Insert a phone number that is a click away from being called
- Add a phone contact
- Instruct to send a text message
- Show a map to a specified location
- Place orders and make payments
- QR code use increased by over 1600% in 2010
- QR code use increased by over 4500% in 2011
- They're incredibly easy to use
- They're actually a lot of fun